It was evening, when the temperature was no less than that
of the scorching sun in the morning, I got down from one of the monstrous four
wheelers in OMR displeased. Unfortunately it is that time of the day when it’s tea time for drivers, I hope, leaving me
gazing at moving vehicles with my head turning left, then right at equal time
intervals, aimlessly. No buses. Something triggered me to walk the five
kilometers it takes to reach Velachery. With a stoll covering my face, exposing
the eye and ear phones plugged in, I set off.
[Akon- Beautiful]
The
right side of the road was more comfortable to start off with, as it had less
shops and I could see vehicles which went past me. Truth be told, if I’d have
taken the left, I would’ve definitely caught a bus at the next stop. I wanted
to walk delibrately so I moved on. And there, I started to know the place where
I really was.
Being the suburban part of the city, it is less touched by
the government. It is true that I would have slipped into any one of those big
man-holes on the roadsides which were open for developing underground drainage.
Heaps of unsoughted waste materials lie on roads such that any passer by would
have to skip-hop-jump to cross ‘em. I had a pretty good thick cloth lining my
nose. But it just seemed to prevent most of the dirt and not the stench. I had
to do fast-walking, else I would have definitely thrown up embarrising myself
and others who lived there. There were series of such wastes which would turn
hazardous in course of time. I thought about changing the side again, but kept
walking. (Im definitely writing to The Editor, The Hindu immediately.)
[Colbie Caillat- Bubbly]
I
wonder how one side of the road is always closed with signs reading, “Caution:
Men at work” when I practically see no
one moving. The number of vehicles passing by that road is tremendous. Traffic
clogs, buses hault, autos blow their horns and two-wheelers crawl in between.
All of these complications are tied to the belts one ONE MAN, he is no army. An
old traffic police. Poor person, he has the colour changing light bulbs,
completely unseen in the sun and feeble hands moving up, down, left, right and
the traffic seems to move a little. The pedestrians wait for the gushing
vehicles to stop. I saw in a distance, my most awaited bus and hurriedly ran to
cross the road with others. With a single glance on the right and experience of
previous days I could predict how fast the bus would move. I changed my mind.
With the police staring at me to cross, I chose to walk, again.
[Teenage dream- Katy Perry]
There
comes THE software company, having it’s branch oll over the out-skirts of the
city and also here, the famous three letters, TCS. I never really know what they are upto, in
there. I dont want to, actually. I just envy them in situations like now, where
I have to walk on the road amiidst dirt and microbes while they get
air-conditioned cabinets. Very much dehydrated my eyes prawled for a drink.
Nothing better than tender coconut in this humid weather. Four formal men and
two cloth-masked woman preceeded me. I was taught to wait politely untill they
were done. But corporate stories never end and it went on and on and ON. I
stretched my hand inbetween to ask for one coconut, only water. I slurped it in
with all might and it felt refreshing. It was pay back time. I dint know how
much it costs but I was freaked out to see one of the guy pull out a 500 bucks
note to the old lady whose only possession were small notes and coins inbetween
the folds of her saree, or so was my perception. Pity, not her. She charges 30
bucks for one coconut which I gulped in less than 15 seconds. I looked poor
handing out three of the ten rupee notes I had. Hell with the corporates and
the shops outside it. All of them know business.
[When you say nothing at all- Ronan Keating]
Rejuvenated,
with extra energy I started taking faster steps. I turn left, I see the bus
which I met with at the crossroads perpetuating. With a slight grin on my face ,my
legs raised each other. It was dusk. The
darkness hid anything that was lying on the road. The retailers coloured their
spaces. The strret lights, way above my heads, branching on either sides,
arranged parallely looking like a never ending trail of a jet. Sight seeing all
the well dressed, handsome and young, perfectly clad plastic models outside showrooms I was
progressing. The chaat shops were all busy. The small benched CD/DVD stalls on
road, Dominos’, Marry Brown, the
chettinad restaurants, fitness centres all passed by and I was still on the
same uncurved road. Looks like one can build, hate, live, enjoy his life here.
[Venam Machaa- OKOK]
As the
typical folkish beats hit my ears I was all pumped up again. Was done walking
for one hour now. My legs started cramping and I was done with too much
learning from a single road. I grabbed groundnuts (very less quantity) from the
Anna with his thalluvandi. I thought they day ended here. But another thrilling
experience was on store. Yeah, the footboard travel. My bag hung from one of my
arm, the groundnuts were tightly clad between my fingers and I took a Rs.4 ticket
to Madipakkam. I was jammed among people but I knew I was living life at
Chennai.
![]() |
| Ada! namma chennai. |
With all it's ups and downs, it’s just the love for the place
where my life originated.
In a walk,
Swetha Ananthan.



So a road on Chennai picturised:)
ReplyDeleteThere cannot be anything more worse or best!
ReplyDelete