They say,
"You cannot go to Tirupati if you want
to. Mr. Venkat himself would want you here and that's when you will be
here."
Whatever!
India,
classical India I would say, has saved itself from westernization not just from
anything else, but spiritualism. I was recently in one such place which gave me
a complete turnover in thoughts. It all started with the elders of the family
planning a pilgrimage, which they love doing. Youngsters are just a prey, for
not being able to be left back alone at home. I was an annoyed one such person
and with less possibilties on my side, we set off.
I've heard
of numerous stories this place. The numero uno being the crowd, populace,
whatever!. (For all the people who lack the guessing sense and concentration to
read Line. 1, yes I was at Tirupati). The place sounds holy as it is
pronounced. This neighbouring-state place is one with international recognition
and well known for its pure devotees, powerful idol, bee-hive crowd and MONEY.
They operate like a village by itself. A village not habituated by people,
instead it's a shelter for thousands and ten thousands of devotees, Thirumala is. Not very appreciable
architectured boarding rooms were found. But the streets which curved like
"The crooked Street" we're lined with identical storeyed buildings
with neatly aligned and badly maintained rooms. As if I was happy about going
to a place where I found most of the things I looked at to be unbelievable, the
rooms and the story the devotees believed in added to my eerie feeling. There was no private ownership. It all
belonged to the Devasthanams, not to
the government either. It operated like a MNC on its own, managing revenue from
all sides.
( I staggered in the line, left with enough
time to tell you about the story of belief & the reason for the crowd.)
![]() |
| Crowd, following crowd. |
There is no
doubt that god will answer your prayers if you are genuine in worshipping him.
At Tirupati, people believe in giving away money so that god will bless them to
earn more. Simple as it sounds. They sweep money with broomsticks, and the hundials are just an icing on the cake. (It
was the first time I really saw money being sacked apart from Kollywood films.)
The methodology of having a meet with Mr. Venkat is what that is exclusive
here. You have two options, to be shifted among glass cages one by one for
hours or stand in long (infinitely) queues which twists like a snake. It's a
bitter feeling to choose either one of the above. Well, paying for it just
irritates you more. So, before taking the decision for life, you decide to have
a full meal at one of the restaurants. The man in-charge offers you a token
that reads No. 84 and a voice from inside calls out, "32! Come in!".
Booyah, all you can do is fight for a chair and sit down to wait. After two
hours, you come out with your tummy full and in a slightly dizzy state. You
choose one of the deadly options and join as 9xx8x'th person in a line.
(Now you are
with me, 4 hours passed)
Human beings
can possible talk continuously for hours, women for days. But seriously, what
conversation will you be indulged in, with a person whose face you will see at
a 10cm difference from yours, infront and behind you for about nine hours?! It
all starts with introducing and then reintroducing. Then family stuffs,
friends. One might even be done with narrating their childhood life. People
talk, talk and talk untill the forget the reason for them standing like ants,
to see Mr. Venkat. I envy people who find no difference between sleeping in a
pillow and sleeping on a steel rod placed to divide people into groups. These
are the ones who aren't hit with guilt of choosing to be here in a line, in a
place, in a state, for a single purpose. Meeting him for a nanosecond. (yes,
that's what you get for a nine hour long queue, you may not even be sure of
whom you saw if you haven't seen him before in pictures). Occasional background
scores are, “Ra.. ra..” or “Jarugandi...”.
(I dozed for
15 mins, people behind me pushed. It was eight hours now)
As you are
nearing to meet Mr. Venkat people start to rustle. You have a deep feeling.
It's mixed. It's about completing a slow marathon and getting to meet the most
powerful idol of all time. The one who is capable of blessing you with all the
health and wealth you had to lose in taking this trip. Mr. Venkat aka
Venkatachalam aka Perumal, you start from his feet, you pray towards his head.
(A
nanosecond in slow motion....)
He stands
there tall. Mighty. Glossy. Different, as people termed. It wasn't just a
stone, it was radiation. It reached out to every devotee in the room. This was
the only place I've ever seen, where a devotee doesn't close his eyes to pray,
he feels it by looking at Him, into his eyes, through his jewellery. One
marvelous sight what nature cannot give. Mr. Venkat WAS what he was. He
deserved the queue, the deserved the village, he deserved the MNC, atleast, he
deserved the devotees. The thousands. I was one.
(Nine
hours and a trip of a lifetime ends)
I was back
in the car. My mom was stuffing laddoos into the bag. I was too tired to get a
hold of them though I was satisfied of getting them(Another queue for an hour).
It's quite a long journey back home. I closed my eyes.
They say,
"you cannot go to Tirupati if you want
to. Mr. Venkat himself would want you here and that's when you will be
here."
Maybe.
Never an
atheist,
Swetha Ananthan.

Govinda Goooooovinda!!!
ReplyDeleteI never got my ladoo share.:(