I’ve heard many say, “College Friends stay through your
life”. It sounds too abstract and just like another proverb which we glance at
and wish it was true. But why do these proverbs still exist? Because at one
point, at one place it is true. Proverbs get meanings when you experience them.
That is when She came in.
Girls need friends who are intimate and candid because they
always like asking opinions. She is one of those. We are not the kind who
became friends from day one in college, just because we sat beside each other
or shared the same room in hostel. We both were in different paths, infact in
different corners in our classroom. I was always busy with a gang, babbling
away time and cared less to think about others around. Not to sound rude, but I
was just that type getting lost in talking. Tracing back to those times I
remember She sitting in one corner with another only friend beside, still
having the time of her life.
We were put in a dormitory in first year, with cots aligned
in rows on either side. Being a person too much to myself I hardly take a walk
around the dorm. Different voices echo from either side of the room.
Occasionally we all meet at the centre and have some fun, like dancing for
‘Shiela ki Jawani’. She was two cots away. It was a silent night that day, a
weekend night when most of the students residing nearby packed their bags home.
I was in my cot staring at the ceiling with my ear phones plugged. Two empty
cots far, I think She was reading something. There are days when repeating the
songs again and again on your playlist starts to get bugging, like that night.
So, I threw it off, literally and walked to the cot which was occupied.
It’s not like I haven’t spoken to her even once. So we
started talking about the general classroom stuffs which eventually lead to
making a farce of all the profs. Then She told me about how ‘a star’ she was in
her school days, about her siblings fun and about the place she lived in. She
hails from Mayiladuthurai, a place most of you will find it hard to pronounce.
I never knew such a place existed till then. Not knowing about it just adds to
the fun of listening about it more. To everything She said, I was like “Yeah,
I’ve done that before, I love doing it, I hate that too.” She was Me.
“College Friends stay
through your life”
It was not too late that I discovered she was a semi-Brahmin
girl. I’m a little itsy-squeezy with their attitude. But there must be someone
to prove it wrong no? She was. She shows me right from wrong. We fight like
cats. The best thing is I love irritating her as much as I can. She’ll get to
the peaks of getting pissed off but will cool down as she has no other way out
from me. We prefer to walk when we go out so we could keep talking all the way,
though the major reason is she wants to reduce few kgs, atleast she wants to
look like me :P But the destination we go to has always been some restaurant
where we hog any cheese content.
Not many know we are friends, few, the kind we are, because
when we talk or have the time of our life, we are usually alone. That is one
reason why we became so close. People don’t like the way we are or live our
life, something mutual between us. On my defence, they crowd we are among find
it hard to cope up with us and the things we do. She is creative, I like to be
innovative. We participate in sympos, she is the elected placement representative,
I take charge of the class. Both of us like taking responsibilities. Both like
accomplishing it. We have the thirst to do something new and we always talk
about it.
“Girl-talks” is also very famous. We’ve stayed up till 3.00
in the morning gossiping or talking about life. What we will be doing after 10
years. Where we both will be? How obnoxious that guy acts or how handsome he
carries himself. At the end of such talks we sometimes disagree with each
other, scream at the top of our voices and go to bed angry. Next day morning,
everything becomes just another sleep talk. We never stay kiddish without
talking to each other for silly fights unlike in school, she points out
everything that is wrong in me. Sometimes I turn red, but eventually will
figure out it was all true. She brings the change. She changed.
To all the above memories and lessons, Cheerz! The one who
has an exact opposite character understands you more, coz she knows herself,
and hence everything that’s opposite in you.
![]() |
| We're right opposites! |
I’m an Alien. She believed in UFOs \m/
And that’s about it, and that’s my way of saying, “HAPPY
BIRTHDAY”
Friends with Rahini Sivaprakasam,
This is Swetha Ananthan. xD
(Note: She is the star of the post “PATHETIC” which became
famous in this blog :P)

you missed out her nicknames:p
ReplyDelete