You probably would’ve been awake
till six in the morning if you are a college sophomore or just keep wondering
if such a time ever existed. That’s mid-night for the most of us. The month of
May this year turned out to be torrid due to many debatable environmental
issues. The days are longer and with the sun rising early every morning, waking
up early is ineluctable. But this doesn’t seem to be a concrete reason. We need
something more, I need something more. Yes, a work out.
After
a not-so-great-yet-fun even semester, lazing out at home with timely food is
blissful. Then your conscience hits you when you have a glance at yourself in a
mirror. A mirror shows want you want to see. If you’re happy or sad, if you
think you’re fat or not. I began sketching a schedule, a to-do list for the
vacation and topped it with ‘morning walk’. What an effortless way. I felt
proud and motivated to see a list with about eight points which had interests,
compulsions and demands. That night I crashed a little past mid-night hoping
that I’ll have to start accomplishing my list from tomorrow.
6.00 am.
I was in a limbo, dreamless. I
could feel a shiver. Someone shook me hard. I sat up to look around. It was ‘morning’,
the time I’ve rarely seen. Dad was around in well clad shorts and tee, pulling
up his sock. I remembered No. 1 on my list. To avoid looking like a total
failure, I got out of bed and went to refresh. It was the most herculean task I’ve
ever done. My head was literally spinning. Yet something told me I had to do
it.
6.15 am.
The first ray of sun on me was
rejuvenating, I must say. My eyes couldn’t open wide. It was too bright. (It
was 6 for crying out loud!!!) My dad started walking swiftly in front of me. I
was trying to keep in track. We started walking and I saw the world, after six.
Had you thought it was too early,
you’re so wrong. People are working. Talking. And doing something. Yes it was
just six.
As the walking got faster, you
could feel you’re body prep-ing for work. You inhale and exhale deeply. But
there is more than just biology. :P
6.30 am.
As we walked passed a junction, a
traffic police was already on duty. He was a man of example and seeing him work
at that time felt impulsive. But maybe I was wrong. He sidelined a truck on
it’s way and started checking documents as one would do. The truck seemed to
have the permit and papers by law. By this time we’ve walked past the truck.
The driver and the police seemed to have a long conversation. I couldn’t stop
wondering why but I had to keep in pace with dad. Fortunately we were on a
straight road. I could turn back to see if the truck could pass by. But, no. We
were quite far away now. The truck started and as it moved the driver handed
over small bits of notes to the police man.
It was morning. India and
Corruption.
6.45 am.
As we took a left and started
walking in a four lane road, I could glance at so many fellow morning-walkers
(yeah, they are fellow people now. :P ) Some were running and some walked
swiftly. The others were slow and some were trying to see if their footsteps
synced with the person in front (me. :D). The walking continued until dad
suddenly spotted an old college friend. It was a pleasant surprise and they
started the talking. I was still behind following them, both the talking and
walking. I couldn’t help but to think how it would be to have a sudden acquaintance
with a friend after years. I could spare a few minutes of my sleep for that. I
started to feel morning was good.
7.00 am.
Hunger sets in. You still haven’t
completed your round. By this time your legs are automatically doing the ‘x’
steps/min walking and the mind can concentrate on something else now.
What. Life.
The stress of getting through
final year of college. Exam results and it’s consequences. Universitiy
applications. Placement offers. Fearing the end of college. Fun. What movie is
releasing next Friday? When can I meet her? Wondering how he did that. Why you
like eating. Whether you will be allowed to do that. Why is the road so dirty?
You start humming a song. And then eventually you start planning on what should
be done that day. It all becomes coherent and there’s a plan. You’re awake and
your body is ready to work. The to-do list flashes. You make up your mind to do something progressive.
7.15 am.
Home. It’s just the same. I grab
my cup of milk and settle down with a newspaper. So many things happen around
the world while you are asleep. After a few minutes of relaxation you are
signaled by your body to do the next job and it’s just eight in the morning.
8.00 am.
I have 16 more hours. I took a look
at my to-do list and the fourth point read, “Write a blog post’. I have done
one. Looks like a morning walk can plan a day for you better than yourself. The
only thing you have to do is, ‘Open you’re eyes at 6.00am’.
Burning calories,
Swetha Ananthan
No comments:
Post a Comment