Thursday, August 30, 2012

Season of happyness!

August 28th, 2012. 3.58 pm. 

After those tiresome hot days one would definitely grin when those shiny small droplets just rub your skin from nowhere. It was one of those days which everyone looks forward with hatred. Housewives for mixies, teenagers for computers, shop owners for sales, me for my phone’s life and you for every reason you could think of, with the complete exception of employees in Electricity Board. All they have to do was pull a lever down, maybe, at 9.00 in the morning and pull it up, whenever they like. These are usual issues. Cladding up to it was, lab classes. With the most professional (scientist-like) looking coats on we entered the labs. It was a dull afternoon, with the clouds playing their role, slightly hinting for a rain maybe. But that’s never certain, like love. Without power it’s hard to catch up with work. So we did some theoretical stuffs with tabulations and words and got out exactly when that shiny small drop kissed me. 

I was smiling now; it felt fresh, after a long time. There were drizzles here and there and the wind gave us the shiver. We dint carry an umbrella as it would have looked stupid taking into account of the morning rays, least for an emergency. But we were well protected under the shades of the old tall trees under its branches, overlapped. As we strolled towards hostel bypassing the college canteen, the *aroma* hypnotized us. I dreamt of those ‘spicy-crispy-unhealthy-awesome’ roadside bajjis (they come in so many types) and every tastebud on my tongue wanted to have it. It was not a clever decision for us to walk outside as the clouds could break heavy anytime. But who says NO to food? Definitely, not me, atleast in this age. So we set off, on the roads, in the rain.

Above us was the beautiful drops of rain, down below was nasty. Being in India one cannot dream of taking a walk in the rain romantically or just happily for that instance. The roads or rollercoaster tracks I would say, formed by sand give the side walkers a tough time. The water gushes from left to right and vice versa, often interrupted by buses and costly cars. The one on foot is made to look pathetically poor and is blessed with sprays of mud (sand+water). The cars blow up their horns when we walk almost in the edge as we could, taking a step more will land us in one of those puddles. The AC drivers never understand that. What’s wrong in swearing then? My shoes became dirty and there were already enough issues to deal with, let go the driver. With spoiled footwear and eyes sprawling across for bajji shops we were random walking. 

Okay, I accept girls talk a little too much. The dirty feet were not an issue at all until the mouth was functioning. We could tease everyone passing by, inside in a BMW or outside on a cycle. The traffic police had a tough time regulating the traffic at the junction as for now it was raining heavily and we were obviously, completely drenched. No issues btw. The cars couldn’t roll and the buses were at halt. That’s when you feel happy about walking. We crossed making use of the spaces between vehicles and got in the other side to discover something terrible. The bajji anna was gone. ( A tiny portion of my brain told me that it ll be hard to set up his shop in this weather, but I was blindfolded by the bajjis as he should’ve been for the business). Disappointed and water-dripping the easiest way was to turn around and return back to hostel. But after crossing those muddy roads and spoiling the clothes which have to be washed anyway we decided to give ourselves a treat, in any shop, come what may.It was already getting cold and we were approaching the shop we’ve planned for. A northie chaat shop, guaranteed hot samosas to be served. With the usual teasing and jumping on road with friends, walks were never a tiresome job. My hair was spoilt, that was my biggest worry. But then food was arriving and everything was dealt with. As we entered the ‘Sweets and chaat shop’, the smell of milk & cashew & jelabis & halwas taunted us. With great self-control we placed an order at the rate of 2 dishes each and sat down at a table. Once in a while I looked out to see if the rain has gone down, as we had a long way to go back. But then as my samosas arrived all I remembered was how awesome the ‘green chutney’ tasted. It took just a few minutes for us to wipe them off their plates. Delicious is an understatement. It was enjoyable. Food always is. School kids came over to the shop with their parents. The wet umbrellas formed a design outside the shop where they were left to dry and it’s count just kept increasing. Staying indoors on a rainy day were those days. Pretty satisfied and getting nostalgic about school days we started our way back. 

Those who enjoy nature, enjoy themselves and LIFE.

The trees seemed extra green, fresh, happy, so were we. It’s been quite a while since I’ve walked in rain, like that, with a sense of freedom. Not particularly stating the absence of parents, but clearly the fun with friends and the moments we carve. The lady in an auto with a kid gave us a smile, a one with thousand meanings. I miss that, I miss that slip and fall. I miss the unhygienic bondas. I miss that holding hands and walking moments. I miss those times when books were the only heavy things to carry. I miss those carefree days. I miss that freedom. I miss those days. And before I could slip into that part of life, I grab a sweetcorn in hand and hog it, saying to myself, “I might be there sometime, but I’m here now, satisfied and thanking and ofcourse, EATING!


It was that evening and one of THOSE awesome moments.

Love <3



Teenage fun, 
Swetha Ananthan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment