It is that time of the year again where you start reflecting on the past 350+ days that just went by. A lot of amazing things happened, certain events taught us how tough life is and later went on to show that we can beat them and still go ahead gracefully. Isn’t that what a year is supposed to teach us.
My new year’s eve 2015 was at Stockholm. Being in a place where I would have never dreamed of being showed how powerful a year can be to change things around (’14 new year eve was all about lamenting that life is going to be bad). But at that moment I was too overwhelmed to take it all in and was constantly thankful about how lucky my 2014 was. It made me truly believe that I can never have an amazing year like that again. It was not a sad moment but rather a grateful one. But then 2015 happened. Apparently Stockholm was just the beginning. Here I am mid-December 2015 re-collecting the days I spent I spent there.
To start off with what all 2015 taught me or rather I chose to learn from it was to be more spontaneous. I could have never set foot in some of the amazing countries in the world this year if not for spontaneity. Everyone knows that travelling is expensive. But I realised that a careful budget can pull you through. It may seem, but definitely not effortless.
To reach out and appreciate and thank people who have truly been doing things that helps ordinary people change their lives around. People are ready to invest time and effort in improving standards of education, quality of living of those that need them more than ever. This year certainly did increase my faith in humanity, more so my hope for the generation that I belong to. (Yes, my views totally resonate with some of what philanthropists such as Mark Zuckerberg, Bill & Melinda Gates envision for this world!)
In line with that, being ordinary is the best gift you can ever have. Moving around constantly has reminded me that the frequency in which things could go wrong is so high that when you are just able to sleep/eat/live a normal life just means that you are the luckiest person in the world!
I punctured a tiny hole in my rational bubble paving way for miracles. Anything can happen. It is sad that you can never believe it until something miraculous just happens to you. I believe in it since my life has not been a ‘dream come true’ but rather showing me what the dream itself is. (Irony when people say I knew you would come this far! Wow, I didn’t know that myself)
Listen to a story from the other side. I caught myself being in circumstances where I was not able to do things that please everyone. So when I am not pleased by some thing the next time I chose to believe that there is a reason and it is not rude. It is okay.
I started to evaluate my life based on people who did things that were out of their league. If they could do it, I sure as hell can as well. In order to chuck the demon in me that says I can’t, reading and knowing about these people’s life constantly was much needed. It helped me re-evaluate my negative thoughts. Are they then your role-models? I’ve never understood that. I can’t name one. Ordinary people influence me. (In short, I’ve been a total stalker I guess)
Holding on to old memories is beautiful. But let the memories that fill you with regrets know that you make mistakes, you learn. I’ve learnt now and that’s all that matters. (But still…)
Seeing the people around you moving on with their life. It is hard to end things without a closure. Seeing things fade is part of moving forward. Even though we climb a hill, don’t we always look down to see the view and wonder how beautiful it is? I hope to admire the sky the same way some day! (My old blogs hold evidences of friendships I don’t even know anymore)
Retrospectively the year looks amazing. But I’m sure each one of us fought through our daily battles ourselves and now we are here. Shouldn’t we thank 2015 for being with us and once again showing that we can keep it going?
Ending this year-end philosophical post with a quote by Charles Bukowski, “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside - remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.”
Cheers and have a great 2016+. Just when I was reading more about the author I just quoted, I found something else that he said, apparently.
“Of course it’s possible to love a human being if you don’t know them too well.”
Ummm. Anyway.
Life is amazing! I am so looking forward to it. And don’t forget your wishes for next year (see, I carefully chose to not call it resolutions). Because you might need to thank 2016 very soon.My days don’t run or jump, they go on like a high-speed water jet boat! I’m sure you have the same feeling too. Cheers to another year~

No comments:
Post a Comment