Hola peeps!
It's midst of semester holidays. Adding to the fun fuel is the trip to Sivakasi (we call it kutti Japan, proudly). This trip helped me to ressurect ideas about my family. The place acted as a proof for global warming as we strolled the town and finally reached my "great" granny's(ll call her paati herafter) home. We were welcomed by kutti voices of my cousins... almost seven of 'em. They were complementary to each other. Unlike other kids of their agein this AGE, they loved playing out. Running, hide and seek, patman (yu pat a ball continuously with your hand.. the one who stops..loses ) were their games. I watched the kids around for a while, cheered them up and moved on.
Situated at the left corner was a small, warm room. Lit with the help of tubelight, thou' the light from the kuthuvizhaku dominates :p I saw my granny already indulged in a conversation with my paati.. that is her mom :O. yeah! her mom!!... my great granny !! With a noise... I made my entry into the room... ofcourse with a bang on the door by my toe (ouch!'am clumsy, u knoe :P). I interrupted them. Paati was sure someone entered. She lost her eye-sight. Quickly my granny tells her my name... and she identifies me from the last time she saw me!! pretty young I was back then. I was comfy seated beside her and she held my hand and started talking. :)
I am a girl who loves listening to people talk... but not much from Grannys' as they are always life lessons. But wait! here it was something interesting. As she started... she made sure my mom & dad was good. No life lessons this time... she spoke about hairstyle :O (OMG!), how she used to look good and how her husband likes it that way. was pleasant to hear. She have me and my cousins some mangoes... and also directed us to hand wash (yes she did!!). She was so usual which made me forget I was talking to a woman of 1940s. Well, she din't ignore my studies part either and made sure she was equipped with a good amount of info. She wanted me to get married immediately after a UG degree thou'(ewww!!). Birthdates!! all of ett she remembers. My aunt just then entered... chitti...mom's sis... and the conversation got even more interesting!!
Randomn topics were on the table.. Discussions din't help us to count minutes. It was only when I came out, I realised that I was among the four generations in the room..discussing placidly about topics. I knew people's introspection in the 1940s, 1950s, 1970s and 1990s. I dint want a time machine now.
We all remained silent, only because, "Experience was talking"!
In a big family tree,
Swetha Ananthan.

No comments:
Post a Comment